Thursday, February 5, 2009

Mr. Peabody




I decided to go for broke and wear a bow tie. I picked up this one at my local thrift shop. It's from a company called Sherman. And interestingly, wearing it made me feel a bit like Mr. Peabody (quiet, you). Though I quickly got used to it and began to feel like I'd been wearing bow ties my whole life.

I was caught off guard by the lack of comments from coworkers. By the afternoon it started to get noticed. The security guard did mention that a bow tie suited me better than a regular tie. All in all, I'm calling it a success and I'll be keeping my eyes open for other bows to sport on the odd occasion. I don't think this one is too bad. It was certainly the best one of the bunch at the thrift shop. But I can't shake the idea that the little paisley guys look like Homer Simpson sperm.

I'm not going to bother demonstrating how to tie a bow tie. If you're interested it's easy enough to look up. I have to admit that demonstrating the technique was among my original ideas for blog topics. But it seems like everybody else has done it already. I will mention that I learned out of a book rather than online. And once you've done it two or three times, it's not much harder than a half windsor or Prince Albert knot. I did have a strong urge to adjust it frequently, though it barely needed it. Except when my 10 month old decided to grab and pull on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment