Friday, March 13, 2009

Dressing The Man


It turned out that what I didn’t know about dressing myself could fill a book. Luckily, that book was “Dressing the Man” by Alan Flusser, and it was at my local library. This book is the bible of men’s clothes. Or at least the Old Testament of men’s clothes.

As a graphic design student I was told repeatedly that you had to know what the rules where before you could break them successfully. I ended up renewing it from the library. As I got deeper in, I wanted to go back and cross reference the photos and the chapters subjects. It would make an excellent text book for a class in personal and timeless style. I seriously took notes out of it. If I had bought it, I might have broken out the hi-liter and color tab stickers.

For the sake of criticism, it left a little to be desired in the casual department. Not that dressing down should be the goal, but I’m sure there is a method for success in that spectrum as well. Regardless of your typical formality requirements. It’s a must for any man who cares enough to pick out his own clothing. And would like to avoid future utterances of “Honey, does this go?”

If you’ve got a nephew or godson in need of a graduation present, this is the ticket. I only wish I had read this book before I ever went on a job interview or got married. I want to go to The Men’s Warehouse with a megaphone and preach from it to people going in the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment