Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Motorbike Dreams

I know nothing about motorcycles. But I don’t know anything about cars either. As the weather warms and the days get longer I feel more and more like I’d rather be on two wheels than four. I’ve been casually working in the idea of getting a motorcycle. My step-son is 11 going on 12 and I’ve stated to him that when he turns 16 I’ll get one and we’ll learn how to ride and maintain it together. Whether his mother exercises a last second veto is another story, but what kind of bike to get is something I can dream about now.

The kid, of course, would be pleased to get a dirt bike. And though it would put a cramp in my idea of commuting to work on it and the two of us taking turns jetting between baseball practices and trips to the drug store, it’s starting to grow on me: If only as an influencing concept.

For a prospective motorcycle guy, I’m not that big a fan of most motorcycles. I hate sport bikes and I’m not really a fan of touring bikes. Ducatis and Harleys don’t interest me in the slightest. So where does that leave me? As I mentioned, I know nothing about motorcycles, so I don’t even know the classification. I believe it's just called Standard or Naked. But these late sixties Triumphs, BSAs, Hondas seem like they would suit me just fine. Not that they would have to be vintage pieces per-say. Something reasonably similar in size and shape would do.




1 comment:

  1. It’s been three years since you posted this, so your son’s about 16 now. If I may ask, is this still your disposition regarding your preferred bike? If the answer’s yes, then you are in a good position. Standard bikes are known for their versatility, which is perfect for a first bike.

    ReplyDelete