Friday, January 16, 2009

Thrifty Ties


Here are some of the awesome trad ties I scored at various thrift shops around town. Most of the thrill is in the hunt. There will be several dozen ties hanging together or stuffed in a bin. 99% of them are hideous. And sometimes in the thicket of stained polyester it will be hard to spot a quality tie. You almost have to unfocus your eyes like those magic 3D puzzles. I find it helpful to do several passes. I'll go through all of them just looking for stripes. Then I'll do a paisley or pattern pass. Then suddenly one will jump out at me.

It's completely rewarding and relatively risk free. I don't think I paid more than $1.50 for each of these. Some came as cheap as 25¢. Considering that you can drop an easy $50 on a strikingly similar tie from a fine clothier, it's kind of amazing. Though, it's not out of the question to find yourself sifting through a hundred ties and coming up completely empty.

No comments:

Post a Comment